Monday, December 7, 2020

Thoughts on MisAnthroPony

Good riddance

So... MisAnthroPony. I had agreed with him in some areas, but I like many get to a point where enough is enough.

Clearing the Air

Regretfully, this was around the time his Cuties video came out, now if anyone brings me up to him, he's gonna probably lump me with the fans of the film, even though I myself don't have a Netflix subscription and feel the film is incredibly misguided in talking about child exploitation, in that more risque scenes are played straight.

Here is the comment I made.

The molestation crack was pretty idiotic, I admit this. But right after that asinine attempt at a dry joke and an admittedly vague follow up, I tried to be mature. This is what he had to say.

Immature insults and a Jeffrey Epstein crack. Even my "were you molested" crack can be put in the context of a question on whether or not the aspects of the film can be associated with some childhood trauma, hence why he feels so strongly against it.

If I wanted to be a real asshole, I would've joked that he's secretly a pedophile himself, those who scream the loudest against it show complicity. The abbreviation on his name may be prophetic.

Plus I admit many of the tweets he shown were of blind defense, but I also admit some were taken out of context, tweets taken in the middle of threads (some of which I highly suspect he butted into or people wanted to give him criticism) just so he can twist it against them.

Not to mention, I left a negative comment on BlackCriticGuy's review of the film. If you have seen MAP's response, compare it to the comment I'm gonna show below.

If MAP ever sees this, he'd probably focus on the "Cuties is not a bad film." line.

My point is, people feed on sensationalism. Even in the face of legally sanctioned CP, we need to be diplomatic, otherwise there's a chance we can turn the outsiders against us. 

I would've left well enough alone if he just focused on BlackCriticGuy, but then he went on a tangent about how Netflix should shut down for releasing the film in the states. Hold the bus.

In that kind of situation, the film should just be removed and Netflix should hold higher standards as to what can and can't be released on the platform. Near as I could tell, (aside from Big Mouth but they have context to why they do what they do), Netflix hasn't released anything similar since Cuties. As they are one of the essential streaming services, and their demise would lead to less accessibility to content not shared on Hulu and the crappy others (focusing on CBS All Access and Disney+ here) plus a stark level of unemployment.

He wants the entire service to be shut down, sometime before and a little after, he flamed Netflix's Twitter account, and his attitude suggested he only stopped to avoid people calling him on it. I'm borrowing from one of the people he put on blast here, but the guy has a point. Netflix has moved on, why can't he? Irate Gamer hater mentality.

I won't go into him advocating for shadier means of watching Netflix's content, I have to go to KimCartoon just to watch animated content for my reviews (and for fun, you got me) But to close off on the film, I hate it and agree it shows a lot of material that creeps could jack off to, but if someone sees something we don't, and they have something to say about it that is beyond jacking off, that's their deal.

If he puts me in the blacklist description of his Cuties review because of what I said, a point would be made.

Now that that's over with

Even without that video in mind, the biggest takeaway I got from MAP was his attitude.

To sum up, MAP is that socially awkward kid who wants to be viewed as cool, so he goes on and on about popular topics in the hopes people would fall for it. Some do, others don't.

When he finds a topic to sink his teeth into, it can go on for eons, with a good example being his essays on Doug Walker. Now yeah, I hate the guy and feel he ruined internet review culture by being a negative influence on the smaller crop, but whining didn't get the the dossier released, and bringing it up even now won't do shit.

He hated the Nostalgia Critic's review of The Wall, I do too, the themes of the movie are so obvious and it felt like a blind attempt at getting attention, but apparently he had that mentality when it came to Doug's discussion on the Sonic movie. This is going by word of mouth, so I won't go any further.

A key reason I did the "were you molested as a kid" response was, along with Cuties, his obsession with the Nostalgia Critic's Sailor Moon review. Compared to the new era NC episodes, that one was... okay. I wasn't that big of a fan of Sailor Moon to take offense to it.

There was one big suspect aspect to the review, him going on about the girls being 14, the transformations themselves being suspect, and a callback to him putting Usagi Tsukino on a hot females list from years ago. On the surface, this is a callback to him and other boys getting the hots for the girls when they were younger, and him not doing his research. The transformations could also be interpreted in different ways. How red does this look?

It's history, but MAP lost his shit throughout this video.

The worst aspects could be considered crappy jokes at best, but it seems MAP doesn't get humor that goes beyond surface level understanding of memes.

This goes on toward another undeniable flaw about MAP, he has no self-awareness. What's worse? Some douche or some asshole who shouts at people and goes on about the same topic over and over again? Well you had to be there.

For an example of him having no self-awareness, take a look at this meme.

For anyone with common sense, this is very likely not true, and was likely spurred by him complaining incessantly about it on Twitter and going after people with casual perspectives on it. If you know it's not true, you have no reason to be pissed off by it, and maybe it's a sign you're obsessive over something. Well, how sensible was MAP in something like this?

Something tells me the meme holds water.

And as an added bonus, ignorance breeds ignorance.





Even better, he responded to the tweet on his Cuties video. You've proven the trolls right.

A Crusty Mirror

A key reason as to why I did this rant is because in some way, MAP is a cautionary tale, directed toward me.

Back before I decided to do reviews, I got involved with documenting drama. That's how I got my following at first, and it slowly turned me into an asshole, sensationalizing stuff that was otherwise negligible, and getting into fights with people who didn't deserve it, leading to blocks that persist to this very day.

The worst of this is when I got into a fight with a hyper-humanitarian, and a mark of shame exists in the form of a series of posts on a blog by the guy which could be found in a google search of my handle. Also my hatred for Sonic Boom which led to me nearly landing on Kiwi Farms. That was also where I was at my worst.

But there is a parallel. My advocacy against creeps and media, sorta like MAP's advocacy on people he covers. If I still pursued drama and got on YouTube, I would've become just like him, a dense asshole with no self-awareness, making enemies and getting a calvary of yes men.

Overall

I have a feeling he had been covered plenty of times before, but for once I can consider this personal. This is like a tale of two different pathways for me. If I kept going with drama, I'd be like MAP, and the other path is the route I've taken today.

And MAP has enough salt to turn the Pacific Ocean into the Dead Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment