Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Fo' reference:

Basically, it sucks. Let me get my overall opinion on this out of the way. I don't think SEGA's getting through this without a year's+ worth of scathe, and I'm kinda hoping this is deemed worse than The Emoji Movie (for the sake of people no longer beating such a dead horse.) I'm not going to see it in theaters, some people need to learn to not pay money to see something you hate, because then it's just going to lead to more movies like this. Obviously, we have an influx on reactions to this movie, it's all over Twitter (mine included) and just about every big YouTuber threw in their two cents.

But to be totally fair, I think a thorough explanation is in order. Here're some reasons why I personally think this movie would suck, obvious points included.

The hyper-realistic elephant in the room.

It's impossible to talk about the Sonic movie without bringing up the ridiculous Sonic model. I'm not going to complain about the blue arms and junk, but I am going to complain about the face. Look at it like this, it's that face that'd be staring right back at you throughout the film. We all have limits and I doubt the limits would last as long as an entire movie. No matter how you look at it, it's just plain wrong, like something that'd be made for a shit-post. I would say that Hollywood is the last collective I'd expect to do something so disgusting, but then I remember that they're the ultimate crusaders for the unholy dollar, and as long as they have something that could turn any kind of profit, anything's fair game (especially since nobody can keep their mouths shut with their complaints, (it's people like you that gave Michael Bay five Transformers movies.)

Also, I'd like to point out the shoes. I know it seems like I'm about to hit Chris Chan and Richard Kuta levels of nitpicking, but look at it like this. Sonic's shoes don't have laces in any prior installment. This makes sense since Sonic runs a lot. In the movie, Sonic's shoes have laces, and if undone, I think Sonic would lose tremendously to the asphalt.

The premise doesn't peak my interest.

At its core, it's a buddy-cop flick with some mischief from Dr. Eggman. That's been done plenty of times before, heck, Detective Pikachu's doing it too (at least I think it is.) There may be more to it, granted, but on a surface level, it isn't interesting. Wanna know how bad it is? The Emoji Movie has a more interesting plot, regardless of how bad it is, it was interesting. It was memorable for whatever reason and the cell-phone aesthetic gave it some kind of edge.

For this movie, if they had it where Sonic was the result of an experiment gone horribly wrong (perhaps some twisted twist on Fleetway (if you know what that is)), I could at least say it would be worthwhile through demented curiosity. But as is, cop meets Sonic, Eggman is sent to stop Sonic, some cringeworthy filler. I'll give it this though, at least it's not set in New York City, sick to hell of that place.

Me, Myself & Irene 2: Revenge of Hank.

One aspect about this movie that has been singled out from the scrutiny is Jim Carrey's portrayal of Eggman. Yeah, they've got a point, he may be the highlight of the film. However, to me, it's not by much. It's really just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey. He has become typecast as a wacky dude, meaning that many of his roles are verbatim at worst. I don't see much of Eggman in Carrey's performance, it's just Jim Carrey. I'm not saying his performance sucks, but let's be real, it's far from Dr. Eggman. Admittedly, Jim Carrey comes very close to looking like Eggman as the movie goes on, but I think the producers were trying to find some form of redemption.


Little hope for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment