Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Queer Duck review

Just to make this perfectly clear, I have absolutely nothing against the gay community (singling that out due to all else covered in the LGBT.) I'm not closed-minded, though I don't promote every facet covered, I'm not gonna bite anyone's head off for it either. I got nothing against you people, just what you occasionally put out.

When it comes to films centered on LGBT related topics, they didn't have the best start. Perhaps due to a lack of mainstream support, we got varied results. They were on the same level as those crappy Christianity movies. But that's a whole other kettle of fish. I wanna talk about how they were portrayed in animation. I'm not gonna focus on implications or point black gay relationships in cartoons from back in the day, but I want to focus on one of the more familiar names in the gay animation sub-genre.

History

Queer Duck was spearheaded by Mike Reiss, a former writer on The Simpsons and one of two creators of The Critic. Initially starting on IceBox.com, this show was notable in that it was one of the earliest original animated shows to be produced for Showtime, though mainly for that network's website. I had talked about Our Cartoon President wayback when, and that was one of the worst shows I ever heard of.

This show wore the gay moniker with pride (pun intended.), its title character was portrayed by an actor who is an admitted homosexual (and that's true, I'm not trying to knock him at all.), not to mention, the theme song was performed by RuPaul.

I had only seen two episodes a while back, and recently I tried to binge the show, but I gave up only a few episodes in, because I had the feeling I'd be seeing more of the same.

Intent

I won't go over the plot because this show has a gag-a-day aesthetic. Just know it centers on the misadventures of the titular character and his animal friends with corny puns "Ali Openly-Gator", "Bi-Polar Bear", "Oscar Wild-cat", insert obvious gag here. There isn't even a set continuity to follow either. To demonstrate this, Queer Duck's mother kills herself in the first episode, but a few episodes after she appears alive and well.

I'm more interested in trying to figure out what crowd this show was really trying to appeal to. Is it meant to appeal to gay people full stop? Because stereotyping would be a big dealbreaker in the long run. Stereotyping is like talking down to people, they see you as one thing you want to break from but can't. It's also worsened by the fact that the character you follow the most often happens to be obnoxious as all hell.

Is it supposed to poke fun at stereotypes associated with gay people? This seems plausible, but why would you make fun of the other extreme as well? You portray persecution of gay people, but at the same time you portray over the top stereotypes. Which one is it? Are you saying we'd be better off not pining for anyone of the opposite sex? Okay that's fine with me, unless I get introduced to someone I'm not interested in seeking someone out, at least not yet.

Is this secretly anti-gay? Where gay characters are treated as overly-obnoxious individuals and we get the idea that it's incredibly common in the community? If so then why did RuPaul get involved?

Is this meant to promote empowerment? Well there're better ways to do it.

There was also a film at some point, but since not even the show itself could keep my interest, I'm not gonna bother watching it.

Animation

Just know it's a flash cartoon produced in 2000. By then the program wasn't, you know, where it's at now, so if you want a flashback to the early days of flash, go nuts.

Overall

To me, Queer Duck is the gay equivalent to a minstrel show. Before you accuse me of a poor generalization, minstrel shows play on stereotypes associated with African Americans, this show plays on stereotypes associated with gay people. It reinforces negative stereotypes and practically discourages against trying to be better.

This show gives me more mixed messages than I had ever weathered in any show or movie. I can normally pinpoint an intent no matter where it's at, but here, I'm lost. I hate the main character on all fronts, not because he's gay, but because of how he goes about it. It's just so annoying, you have to see it for yourself.

Without a clear direction, I can't even respect it for its intentions. The gay community deserves better through cartoons (and not through Steven Universe.) Out of the original animated shows Showtime aired, they were better off doing movies and live action. Networks have a certain atmosphere to them, and Showtime's is obnoxious. Very, very, obnoxious.

With that said, glad to wash my hands of Showtime's animated fare, because it's not like there was another show that aired sometime between Queer Duck and Our Cartoon President, right?

Stay tuned true believers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt_C7KxPhAc

No comments:

Post a Comment