Monday, October 12, 2020

The Cramp Twins review

Please note that I'm going by memory on this, not out of laziness, but because I really don't like this show. And now for the ever endearing thesis and production trivia.

I talked about that weird era of Cartoon Network during the mid to late-2000s, where they threw whatever they could on the schedule, basically glorified sensory deprivation. It was around that time they felt more adventurous, blah blah blah Tickle U, Miguzi, CN Real, imports, I very likely talked about this.

Though speaking of imports, guess what of them I caught, well I and potentially more.

That Part

I first caught The Cramp Twins on Cartoon Network. I would say it's a given for everyone else, but I learned soon after the show got its start on the Foxbox. For a block primarily dedicated to material owned by 4Kids Entertainment, I would say it's surprising this show made it on since Angela Anaconda bit it the same year, but shock and horror I never watched this block. Interesting fact, one of the characters from this show played a part in a twist ending for a commercial break special.

The show, initially, was produced by Sunbow Entertainment. I talked about them in by Brothers Flub review, but to catch you up, they became notable for their programs based on Hasbro properties, but after the heyday of 80s toy commercials (I mean cartoons), they just couldn't hold on. Regretfully, this would be their last production, and this show ironically outlived Sunbow, even through legacy credits.

Airing on Foxbox initially in the US, the show was aired on and co-produced by Cartoon Network's British branch, this being one of two co-productions with the other being Fat Dog Mendoza. While the latter never aired on American television, this actually wound up on Cartoon Network.

One thing I find interesting is that this show used both American and Canadian actors. This wouldn't be the first kind of show to do it, Sabrina: The Animated Series used a mix as well. To bring up Fat Dog Mendoza, the show used an entirely Canadian cast. This was in their later years and I imagine it was cheaper to contract a Vancouver talent union, while British networks don't adhere to ratings and would take anything functional.

So along with Vancouver mainstays like Nicole Oliver and... shit it's been ages since I went over Canadian actors, and I do not feel like revisiting this show beyond my memories, we also have Kath Soucie and Tom Kenny, I'm not gonna act like they've been suckered, it's all down to a paycheck, but I now understand the grievances behind capitalism.

The show lasted from 2001 to around 2005, and that's about it.

How about some complaints?

This is one of those dysfunctional-family affairs, no matter how you look at it. To sum up, boy genius Lucien Cramp, troublemaker Wayne, neurotic mother..., and blank slate Horace. Yeah I can't be bothered to remember everyone's names. We've come to a point where edges are to be expected from main characters. You don't even need to peel back the layers to see how bland this kind of premise is on the show.

Though perhaps it's remembered for a better reason (well one of two.)

While I suck with the names, I don't suck with personalities. Lucien is the least annoying by default, which is a plus since he seems to get heat most of the time, think Malcolm in the Middle, but his potential isn't as realized. The mother takes her housekeeper designation too seriously, and how could I forget that time she tried to burn everyone and everything with acid.

I think it goes without saying that Wayne was one of the worst aspects of the show. Not because of the lack of MUH COMEUPPANCE, and Tom Kenny pulled off a great performance, but that's why it sucks, you can easily hate Wayne. The fact that he plays a big part in nearly every episode makes it harder to get through, especially the scenes where he pretends to be innocent. It can remind people of their own poor sibling relationships. Hell, in most shows even if we're meant to hate the rude sibling, they're still bearable. I'd rather watch an episode of Ed, Edd n' Eddy with Sarah, because with characters like her they're at the very least entertaining.

If Cramp Twins practiced incest Wayne would be a tsundre.

For all else, this show is one of those slice-of-life affairs. I recall nearly every episode I've seen, though for the wrong reasons, and the few times I tried to get back into it I couldn't make it to the end. For perspective, I'd rather watch Angela Anaconda. Bizarre animation is sounding very good right about now.

The show did try some subversions, Lucien though the softest by nature is actually tolerant of most gross things, finding solace in a swamp, something that Wayne hates. They swapped the abusive husband and frail wife tropes in one episode, otherwise, many characters are the sum of their parts, you either like it or you don't.

I'll give the show the benefit of the doubt that it got a little more bearable later on down the line, there was one episode where Wayne tried to prove he was a good brother to win a quad bike, so good I watched it multiple times, had some decent jokes, characters were more tolerable than they normally were, it even had casual misogyny. 

Animation

So if it wasn't the characters you remembered, chances are it was the style. One thing I have to give credit to the show for, objectively at least, is that it has a unique style. While the technicolor skin pigments give me Doug vibes, the ovular heads, the bulging outlines and nothing else apparently help give it a little extra edge. You can never forget a face but you can forget nearly everything else.

Also used traditional animation which I never noticed changed even after Sunbow bit it.

In Closing

The Cramp Twins is a prime example of a show we enjoyed growing up, but it didn't quite hold up as well as we had hoped. It doesn't matter if your tastes have changed or you matured, it's hard as hell to revisit this show. The few episodes I watched, for the few I managed to watch to the end, I didn't want to go back to it. It's proof that you can hate characters who're executed just right.

This and Camp Lazlo stand as the two shows I watched growing up that I hate now. Frankly I'd rather look at weird Loud House art, at least I have the knowledge South America handles consent laws differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment