Thursday, January 13, 2022

Top 4 Worst Episodes of The Simpsons (vent)

This is the part where I go into The Simpsons, its impact and assume it longevity hurts me on a mental basis, but that would imply I actually care. Say you hate the new episodes of The Simpsons and people will automatically believe everything you say. I gotta get this out of my system before it gets any worse.

To heck with the formalities, let's get right into the list, the top four worst episodes of The Simpsons, why four? Because the fifth kinda got away from me.

#3: There's No Disgrace Like Home

Don't forget, you're here forever, is darker without context. You are stuck with your dysfunctional family and can never change it.

This was around the time The Simpsons was still trying to find its footing, and this indirectly gave us an idea what would happen if a relatively sane man was caught in an insane family. It's unpleasant to say the least, especially when others are unwilling to commit to change for the better. Any effort you make to try and get people to fix themselves is met with glorified apathy.

Looking back on this and how worn out the dysfunctional family trope has become, it makes this harder to watch. I'm thankful Homer was made into an idiot right away because it would've been far more depressing if it came gradually.

#2: Two Cars in Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish

Politics, that is all.

The writers on The Simpsons are left leaning, this was apparent since the beginning. I bring that up not because I want to put people down over their political views, but because left leaning people are the most willing to shove it into everyone's faces.

The idea is to push people to one side of the table, why else is Mr. Burns a Republican, and why else is so much faith put into Mary Bailey, whoever the hell she would've been? Make your own choice, but please consider this particular one.

Even back then this episode felt painful in my opinion, and showed an underlying bias the writers had (why else did most of them go to Harvard?). People who throw shit at one side tend to be just as shitty, I'll just leave it at that.

Dishonorable Mention

War of the Simpsons bugged me as well, but it was a good idea backed by poor execution and some borderline one-sidedness. I saw a hilarious review waxing praise and throwing in asinine allegories, that's all I can say.

#1: Moaning Lisa

Here's an equation, take a great A-plot and mix it with a terrible B-plot... the answer's right above. Moaning Lisa has the worst B-plot in the show's history, bar none. All that hard work, for a hollow and unsatisfying conclusion, oh but the A-plot is inspiring and shit, I don't care, I have to put up with the b-plot just to see that inspiring and shit a-plot.

vent over

No comments:

Post a Comment