Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Venting About the Chris Pratt Biz

 Remember the days when Sonic fans whined about Jason Griffith? It's a few years late, but I never thought we'd get a pseudo sequel, one that is even more petty than that was.

I'm doing this because I'm awaiting feedback on a rough draft, and I got time.

So, a new Mario movie was announced and a trailer dropped not too long ago. There's a little stink going on with it, and it got me thinking, oh this is by Illumination are people gonna hate on it for that alone? Is this gonna be like a meme where the Sonic movie trumps it? I wish it were either two, it would make more sense.

But no, the big takeaway people got from an otherwise interesting trailer... is one particular voice actor.

Chris Pratt was cast as Mario, understandable, as any film needs big name actors in order to get audiences in on name appeal. But of course, people lost their shit, guess we can't go one year with one movie getting ran through the dirt over something so minor.

People got butthurt because Charles Martinet wasn't cast as Mario in this, and they have absolutely no sense of self-awareness about it. They think it's a big huge crime that Mario, shock and horror, has a different voice. Just wait till they watch the old Mario cartoons, they'll have a heart attack I'm sure.

I don't care what Chris Pratt's take on Mario is like, he's just doing what he is directed to do and clearly trying his best. How was he supposed to know how nuts many Mario fans are? I'm sorry, but a lot of them are taking this way too far and I needed to go that route.

Where does this stack up to the Sonic voice actor drama from years ago? Well let's look at it like this, when people complained about the voice actors, I can kinda see where they're coming from. The cast change happened only due to the death of Deem Bristow, and SEGA thinking it would be cheaper to have the cast from 4Kids dub of Sonic X handle future titles. 4Kids had already begun to build up a negative reputation, and I can imagine some saw it as an extension of that. But since then the tides have turned and many of the 4Kids cast members are seen as the superior actors to the characters they voiced.

What's the excuse for Chris Pratt drama? Chris Pratt is voicing Mario in the upcoming movie, that's it. He hasn't replaced Charles Martinet in the games, you can choose whether or not you watch the movie, it has absolutely no impact on the games and can be easily ignored.

I'm sorry, but it's a petty complaint no matter how you slice it, even if the voice turns out to be bad, whining about voice acting? This isn't 2007, and it reminds me of PowerPuff Girls, who try to start one crisis after another.

Sure it was great the Sonic movie staff managed to fix the animation, but I feel that as a caveat, it gives people the idea they can bully movie producers into making them change things they don't like. If you had to resort to changing things you don't like with AI or whining about a voice actor, there's only one thing I can say.

Cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment