Monday, August 22, 2022

Scenes I Misremembered

A long time ago, I talked about movie scenes that occurred differently than I remembered, but a lot of you probably never heard of that. Nuff said, I'm gonna go over stuff from cartoons that I remembered differently, whether I didn't focus on the finer details or something else. These are gonna go by quick, some at least.

Spoiler warning

Mucha Lucha: Chinche

Remember this show? Mucha Lucha is considered to be the first television cartoon show animated in flash, by people who never heard of John Callahan's Quads. Anyway, I used to watch this show a lot when I was younger on Cartoon Network, and it's pretty good. This episode was released in the show's first season. I remember watching it for the first time, I had to leave the room for a few seconds, and from then all I got from this episode was that The Flea was a jerk to his cousin, and he hated him for plot's sake.

But when I returned to this episode years later, it was the exact opposite. I left the room around the time The Flea went through a prank where an elephant was released from a gift Chinche gave him. At first I thought it was just something that was in The Flea's imagination, but no, it was real. In fact, I completely spaced on Chinche intentionally icing out The Flea and attempting to steal his friends.

And then the climax. I did see the flashback to Chinche's birthday where The Flea gave him diapers. Hear me out, Chinche had worn diapers back then, but that was a secret, and because The Flea made it known to people accidentally, Chinche held it against him ever since, and of course they make peace. Looking back at this episode, it really made the show much better than I remembered it, and gave me some grander respect for what would be a more comedic character, The Flea cares deeply for his friends and family, he was the heart and the humor of the group, Buena Girl was the brains and the conscious and Ricochet was the brawn and the mouth.

CatDog: Dem Bones

This one's gonna be brief. This episode centers on Dog stealing the bones from a T-Rex exhibit while sleepwalking, and CatDog needs to return it lest they want to face museum jail time. During the climax where CatDog confront the museum guard while puppeting the fossil. I remembered it differently, in that I thought Cat was more into scaring the guard as payback for hassling them, but really, he was just trying to avoid getting caught and wanted to do a brief scare.

Hey Arnold!: Helga and the Nanny

In a review I did of this episode, I alluded to a false memory I had with this episode. I remember Helga arguing with a haggard old woman, and I assumed it was this episode, but obviously that wasn't the case. There was crossed wires between this and Crabby Author, best I can say.

King of the Hill: Hanky Panky

Now, I think a lot of people know how this went, but just to get you on track, Buck Strickland faces scrutiny from his wife, things are thrown out of wack and Buck's piece of ass Debbie wants to seduce Hank, and she dies at the end. What could this be leading to? Well, I thought Luanne died at the end. Both she and Debbie were blondes... and this seems embarrassing.

The only other Debbie I knew was the one from Wild Thornberries, so younger me assumed all cartoon blondes were named Debbie, so I was like, shit, they killed off "Debbie" (Luanne), if this actually happened, that would've made King of the Hill interesting, in that they jumped the shark higher than The Simpsons did.

But obviously, this didn't happen, hence my shock that Luanne was alive and well. If she could survive a propane explosion, she could survive anything, but to be fair... rest in peace Brittney Murphy.

Invader Zim: First Episode

I never saw much of Invader Zim growing up, so naturally I wasn't able to really soak in the show's humor, wherever it applied. This is one of two episodes I will go over. For the first episode, when Dib lost at the end I assumed he was hauled away by Zim's Roboparents. But chances are I mixed this up with the conclusion of that one episode of Teen Titans where Robin goes to the mountains to train with an old master.

For the actual ending, Dib's weapon of choice was destroyed, and he just gave up. It was funny, and established the show's firm balance between darkness and hilarity. To be fair, I didn't see this episode as much when it was new.

Invader Zim: Dark Harvest

Yep, the big one, depending on who you ask. There were a couple of things I didn't remember correctly. Firstly, what happened to Torque. I had assume Dib was gonna try and find a secret contact, but Zim murdered him. Then I thought, wait a second, nobody except Gretchen likes Dib. Nope, turns out Dib lost an otherwise apathetic Torque and Dib's realization was more comedic given the circumstances. It also didn't dawn on me why there were feathers, then lol, pigeon head.

Then the ending. I had assumed Zim took away Dib's vocal cords and made him sound like a cow... past me was not very bright. I didn't know the theme of the episode but Zim was stealing organs to clear a physical due to his anatomy being a giveaway he wasn't human. But, here's the actual thing. Lungs were the last thing Zim needed, he took one of Torque's, and he took one of Dib's, having replaced everyone's organs with random items, and for Dib, a tipping cow toy was the replacement for him.

I assumed Dib couldn't speak, but it turns out, yes he could, the only reason he made the cow noise was because, lungs are needed to breathe, and the cow toy was it. Once more, it was funnier than I remembered it, and I love the show for it.

Odd SpongeBob Nightmare

I have weird dreams, some of which involving cartoons, otherwise standard dream weirdness. I had one where SpongeBob and Patrick travel to Rock Bottom for some reason, and as they descend, their faces become more distorted. Well it turns out this was built on a forgotten memory. This was actually me remembering an episode of Rocko's Modern Life, Carnival Knowledge, where Rocko and Heffer ride a roller coaster and the g-force leads to the faces I saw in my nightmare.

I rarely ever saw Rocko's Modern Life back then, have mercy how times do change.

Bonus: The Simpsons: Various Scenes

This wasn't substantial enough to justify a full section, and a lot of them are the same. To sum up, I thought most scenes in The Simpsons were shorter than they actually were. Some examples include the climax of the hockey game in that episode, Marge's flashbacks in the aerophobia episode and the fate of Ozzie Smith in Homer at the Bat.

Obviously, these were longer than I recall, and that sums that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment