Monday, May 3, 2021

Why I Don't Like The Loud House/Casagrandes

 Well, I don't know what any of you were expecting, but here we go. One thing I need to point out in regards to me going at a kids show, cartoons are an art form, they can be used as a means to an end, so to turn a blind eye on clear issues just because "oh lol, a grown ass man is complaining about a cartoon"... okay there are examples that fit that bill, maybe I just hate homogeny.

Once upon a time, I was a fan of The Loud House, at least enough to have a positive opinion on the show and some fan art in my favorites. I was able to forgive most of the pervy side because for all I know sexual misconduct laws are much different in South America (what helps is the bigger figures on that side happen to come from that area.), there were some episodes I'd skip, but that goes for a lot of shows I like. I stayed on board even after Chris Savino got outed then somewhere down the line, I jumped ship.

The Loud House has had incredible luck it seems, earning high ratings and avoiding Nickelodeon's passive touch of death, earning a glut of seasons with no signs of slowing down, though call it a feeling, it's less about having faith in the product, but how cheap it is to make and manage, but it'll be one of many reasons to be covered right now.

It has no face

The show was created and ran by Chris Savino until he was kicked off due to sexual harassment charges. I'm not defending the guy, but once he left, it seems the show fell more into the hands of the network and whatever writers were willing to stay.

Ordinarily a show would get the ax if a creator sticks to their gun and gives the network no leeway to do what they want to keep ratings afloat, but now that the network had a cheap show in their deck, they could handle it however they want.

Let's be real, with how the show was earlier on it would've been a miracle if it made it past two seasons, the writing just wasn't that good and its journeys are just as painful as its destinations. The writing became more stable from then on, but it's still not that remarkable, though I will say they did one of the better LGBT-themed episodes we get these days.

Archetypes

Now yes, I am aware many of the characters of the show have had moments that pulled them out of their stereotypes, but they are still at least 55% of their archetypes, that's how we recognize them, and we focus on the worst because that's the most significant aspect of their character anyone could single out. It's why people never let go of No Such Luck evidentially.

Anything that could be said about a character is often preceded or followed by a trait they're assigned to. For example, Luna is a music fanatic who's in a same sex relationship with a girl who's also a music fanatic.

Point is, archetypes are often used for a lack of better ideas or to make up for a glut of characters. When you have to come up with personalities for eleven characters you gotta cut corners. You can say there's more to many of the characters, and fine, I won't deny it, but most of the time it's either convenient to the plot or doesn't make up the core of their character, especially if the worst shows the most often.

Frankly, this would've went over better if it came out in the mid-90s, it has that feel to it, which is why I liked it at first, and would've had a bigger impact especially when it comes to Luna's saga. Though in my eyes some kid-related drama would've really made an impact.

Basic Art Direction

The show has a Schoolhouse Rock-type art direction, at least that's what I thought, but perhaps due to over exposure the visual novelty wore off and it started to feel bland. It kinda fits with the idea of it being a brand with the use of simplistic art direction and backgrounds, something anyone could draw, and since humans reign supreme here, it'd be a cinch appealing to the younger demographic.

Breaking Down Over the Movie

Flash television cartoons have gotten a bad rep, especially back then, mostly by hand-drawn purists who'd shake carpel-tunneled hands without knowing what led to it. You don't need great animation to tell a good story, much like how you don't need a good art department to make a good cartoon apparently.

I didn't think much of it at first, but ever since a teaser for The Loud House Movie was released, my fears came true. For perspective, I said the movie looks like a collection of episodes of equal relevance that were put together for a movie, and someone basically said something similar to me. Hell, we have people making bets on whether or not the movie would follow a predictable twist. I'd express how I'd feel it should go on, but I won't, because at this rate I'd be looking for complexity in something well out of my league.

Though to be fair maybe if this goes well I'd list my ideas in a new entry.

The only distinction that could be made between the movie and the cartoon is the backgrounds for the most part. I'm making a big deal about it because it really goes to show how cheap the brand is. Now let me explain, when it comes to Nickelodeon movies, name 'em, SpongeBob SquarePants, Rugrats, they know the arena they've entered.

Oh but this is a Netflix movie, that lack of quality is acceptable right? Not really. Invader Zim Enter the Florpus took the extra effort with more fluid animation and actually working to incorporate elements from the concurrent Invader Zim comics. Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling basically had better animation in terms of cosmetics, as well as a coming out story that was well executed.

Had this movie been released on television I wouldn't say anything as it'd seem like Nick would let the show remain in their domain. This is one of their most popular shows so they could work out a spot in the schedule. Just the fact they're making it a Netflix movie and we have others to compare it to really shows how Nickelodeon feels about the property, an easily exploited prop.

But What About Casagrandes?

Somebody once compared The Casagrandes to The Cleveland Show, and yeah, I can see the resemblance. I can't say this is on the same level of quality as the Cleveland Show, but they're very much alike in principal. Both spin-offs came out as the popularity of their respective shows continued strong. Both spin offs only carry just enough differences to stand independently, but still make callbacks to their old shows.

I'm going by inception here, I had no interest in the Casagrandes so I won't make any statements on the quality of the show as a whole.

It kinda feels hollow as it came out during the peak of representation, Nickelodeon only saw a market they could get into, at least that's what it felt like. Beyond the focus and setting, it's not much different than The Loud House, which goes by my cheap and easily exploited theory, at least going by the one episode I saw of the show for free. Other episodes may play out differently, but both shows have a similar spirit to them.

And to the fans

I won't act like everyone drove me away from the show, the only user that truly made me heave was 05jstone, but from me to them, you deserve better, all of you. This show is like climbing up a mountain, you start off with heavy anticipation, but when you rest for the night and resume, you find yourself closer to the end and the wonder slowly dies off.

I'm glad a stark bulk of you were in favor of aging up the characters to prevent the monotony from building any further, but at some point the show will wear thin, especially given the stigma against shows running for longer than they should.

I can't recommend a better show, frankly all of them are starting to get soiled, but don't be afraid to question things or point out something wrong, in spite of what many dolts may tell you to believe, you'd show your commitment to the field by knowing what's right and wrong.

Short answers

The show is no longer identified by a creator so we have no coordinator, it has an easily doable art direction and characters, archetypes that keep to their stereotypes more than half the time and is basically so cheap the network can milk it for all its worth.

At the very least, this can be a bit of a refreshing change from the glut of Loud House content, I mean I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment