Thursday, April 22, 2021

Real Ghostathon: Final Ranking

 We're almost at the end, what better way to wrap up a short marathon than with a personal ranking. Please note that this is all just my opinion and you're welcome to disagree, that's the tradition. Also, that Slimer! segment won't be included because, honestly, it doesn't deserve to be here.

#1: Chicken, He Clucked

Props where props are due, this episode took what sounded like a dumb premise and made it amazing. I love how they allowed us to feel sympathy for a demon in this, it's rare to see a villain painted in a sympathetic light, and for a one time appearance we got a lot of mileage from Morganon. I also love how they subverted expectations at the end, while keeping the irony of the situation.

#2: The Grundel

Namely out of my love for premises involving manipulation. The spirit of the first season is mostly kept here and The Grundel didn't disappoint when it came to disturbing the viewer, certainly earned its title as the creepiest villain, with the creepiest episode alongside it.

#3: The Boogeyman Cometh

It's a great episode, but didn't have as much going for me as the other two episodes. It captures the fear one has with the Boogeyman and it's nice we got some extra dimensions to Egon in terms of him holding on to childhood fears, and it's written well enough.

#4: It's About Time

Much higher up because I was proven wrong with Peter supposedly being incredibly stupid in this episode. The idea made no sense, but it ironically made more sense toward the end, and hey, Peter's supposed idiocy managed to prove beneficial, gotta respect the episode for that.

Also, Janine's 89 design at this point ranks at a good second behind the original Janine.

#5: Poultrygeist

As someone who enjoys transformation scenarios, this was an incredibly bland take on the werewolf scenario, compounded by the premise actually being taken seriously, rather thank taking the piss out of it.

#6: Russian About

As someone who agrees with the fact J. Michael Straczynski was the best writer on the show, this is honestly a big disappointment. I don't know if it was him or the network that had the biggest impact on this episode, but there was a lot left to be desired, especially with a plot that promised to be the most extravagant. Since this was released in the last year before the USSR collapsed, the evil-Russian imagery comes off as rather basic by comparison.

#7: Attack of the B-Movie Monsters

Appropriate the last episode on this list is the episode I left off on. Where do I begin? A bland premise, a genesis that I for the life of me could not understand, complaints by Phelous on the later seasons overall that really take hold here, an unresolved ending brushed over almost seamlessly, all in a season that feels like it only exists to get the remainder of season 6 off the chopping block, the small amount of episodes provide heavy credence to this.

If the production code's anything to go by, this was the very last episode of The Real Ghostbusters ever produced, and it's poetic to be honest. The passion was lost, the ratings declined, the writing plummeted, characters suffered though some more than others, and the animation budget crumbled below happy meal levels.

In Closing

I guess every reviewer has to go through a marathon every now and again, and I hope I met my quota with this. I understand the grievances people had with the show as it went on, and I at the very least see this as more than just a glorified merch magnet like Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I get when a show starts to decline, I just don't like dedicating a bulk of my time whining over how much better things were in the past, but believe me I get it, and this show stands as a good example how much ABC sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment